Tips for a successful cake smash session
1. Don’t assume bub will dive right in. All parents hope that their little one will dive in and make a mess of the cake. But that doesn’t always happen and that’s okay. It’s important to know that even if they don’t turn their cake into a smooshed up pile of crumbs, I am still able to catch fun images of them poking at it or looking at it in disgust. Sometimes we may need to strategically place a little icing on their face/arms etc to help things along, or other times mum or dad may have to get involved in the pictures themselves. Some little ones cry, and that’s ok. Please don’t be upset or disappointed. Your little one is not the first and won’t be the last to cry in front of a yummy cake. At home we stop our bubs from playing with their food and then all of a sudden we are wanting them to “smash” the cake!!! This can be a little confusing and confronting for them at first, but no matter what we WILL get beautiful images. It’s also a good idea to bring along a favorite toy and some snacks in case your little one needs some comfort. Also remember that they are in a strange place with a strange person they have never met, so sometimes they do take a little time to feel comfortable enough to relax and get into the cake.
2. Come prepared for one heck of a mess! One thing parents don’t often realise is that they too will likely become covered in cake and icing during the session. Sometimes babies get a little overwhelmed and look to mum or dad for some comfort and will head for you for a cake covered cuddle! I always recommend that parents wear something to the session that they dont mind getting messy/dirty. If you are going out straight after your session, a change of clothes is a good idea. You bub does get a warm bubble bath at the end of the session to clean off all the cake/icing so you dont have to have the car also covered in cake!
3. Your Cake Smash Session includes a cake as part of the session cost. The cake is decorated in colours to suit your little ones chosen Cake Smash colours. IF your child has a food allergy, I ask that you PLEASE bring along your own dietary specific cake. The last thing I would want, is for your little to have an allergic reaction or get a rash all because of the ingredients. Any cake will look great in the photos, please don’t put your child’s health at risk all for a few photos.
4. I encourage all clients to make the cake smash session their own. I have a few outfits & accessories and different coloured decorations and I am always willing to work with your own props, decor and outfits as well. I supply up to 6 helium balloons according to the colours used in the set up but you are welcome to bring along extra balloons, chalkboards, custom banners etc, you name it. You can contact me any time to discuss what I have on hand, and be sure to let me know if you will be bringing along your own outfit/props/decorations so I can work them into session.
5. Cake Smash Session are my most POPULAR session type, and I book up very fast, and often months ahead (Especially for weekends sessions). Booking in your session as early as possible is the best way to ensure you get the date or as close to the date you want. Some parents want their cake smash pictures ready for their child’s actual birthday to print out and display, and in that case, the session should be done at least 4 weeks before the event, Some people also like to use the cake smash images for the birthday invitation, so in that case I suggest booking in 6-8 weeks prior to your little ones party to ensure you have enough time to get your images back and have their invitations printed. Once you are booked, PLEASE come at the time you have had allocated for the shoot, I too have children and school pickups that I work my session bookings around, So my times are dependent on you showing up on time :) If you are going to be a little early/later than your allocated time, please let me know ASAP.
Now, lets get SMASHING!